How did we get to be the Second Congregational Church?
Our church building was built in 1840 as a Methodist Church (that’s why we have stained glass windows, which most UCC churches do not have). Methodism, for whatever reason, did not catch on in Londonderry, VT in the 1840’s.
In an attempt to hang on financially the Methodists sold the Methodist Parsonage to the Peck Family. It was a private home for over 100 years. In the 1970’s, the church - Second Congregational Church - bought the building from the Peck family. We now refer to this building as the Peck House (the Thrifty Attic and Neighbors Pantry are located in this building which is just on the other side of the church parking lot).
1868 Second Congregational Church organized by an Ecclesiastical Council composed of the ministers of ten Congregational Churches and nine lay delegates
1869Present church building was purchased from the Methodist Society for $2,000. Later the same year, a parsonage was built on the site of the present one.
1870Adopted Articles of Faith of the Church, Church Covenant, Rules of Government and Gospel Principles.
1914Parsonage (on High Street) destroyed by fire and later rebuilt with help from Vermont Domestic Missionary Society.
1934Extended a call to Rev. Richard Burn, beginning a 26 year pastorate.
1961Church members vote to become part of the United Church of Christ.
1963Purchased Londonderry parsonage land.
1971New Constitution and By-laws adopted; Church Council established.
1972-1979New addition built on parsonage; dedication of the new Communion table given in memory of Bessie Adams by her family; church purchased the Peck property.
1980-1989Installation of Rogers organ, given in memory of Catherine Brunell by her family; new access to sanctuary completed and dedicated; Derry Crew youth group founded; Memorial Garden started; Articles of Faith of the Church, Church Covenant, Rules of Government and Gospel Principles replaced by standards of National Council of Congregational Churches.
1990-1999 Gala celebration of the 125th anniversary of Second Congregational Church wins 3rd prize in annual Congregational Christian Historical Society event; dedication of new carillon, gifted by Julius and Beulah Beers; first annual Whale of a Sale; stained glass window given in memory of Rex Doane by his family; church Mission Statement adopted; By-laws amended to create a Pastoral Relations Committee.
2000 - 2008Church basement renovated and renamed "Friendship Room;" bell tower reconstructed; slate roof replaced; lift added for handicapped accessibility; website created.
MORE TO COME … SPRING OF 2016!
tel (802) 824-6453 | PO Box 77 | 2051 North Main Street | Londonderry, Vermont 05148